A Little Bit About Us...

So as of right now, there's only one of me. I'm trying to convince my lovely, self-professed foodie bff to help me write this little blog. But until she agrees, here's a bit about me...

I have to start out by saying: I am not a foodie. I like food, I eat food, but I don't have the passion of the foodie. I am, however, a writer who enjoys the experience of eating out and trying new foods. My tastes are simple and if it's giving me a foodgasm, I'll let you know the how and why and where.

I also happen to be a closet wine snob. I'm finding that I have a passion for wine and viniculture. And local microbreweries! While I'm not as into beer as I am food or wine, the locals will still be supported. You'll be hearing about all that here too.

But most importantly, I love Hamilton and think there's a whole city within that few people ever get to see. Little places that don't get the recognition that they deserve. So the main mandate of this blog is going to be "eat local, support local". If you can't get there on the HSR, I won't be writing about it.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Locke St: Chuck's Burger Bar (May 11, 2011)

905.525.1000  194 Locke St. S. Hamilton, ON L8P 4B4  www.chucksburgerbar.com


I need to preface this post by saying, I've spent the better part of the last five years having a sort of...passive hate on for Locke St. I felt that it had a certain vibe, one that I wasn't a part of. Very hipster, very 20-something with their dogs/babies. But I'd never been there. I was basing it all off of what I'd heard, the people I knew who went there. So Chuck's Burger Bar was my first actual experience with Locke St. And I must confess, I kinda love it. I kinda love it a lot and I kinda can't wait to try more places.


So what is it about this place that makes it so great? The place is really small, super small...maybe four tables and seating for another 8-10 people at the bars. Most of the place is exposed brick and open wall space. There is a small section along the front of the bar that has a designer backsplash, which SHOULD clash horribly with the rough brick and diner atmosphere, but manages not to. Oh and the tables! I almost forgot the tables! The four tables in the restaurant look like reclaimed wood. They're completely beautiful pieces and lend so much charm to the interior.


Their menu is a paper brochure, so they're easily changed if need be. Very practical. And chock full of delicious options! Lamb, venison, chicken, turkey, and of course, angus beef. And the toppings! I can't even list them all, but it goes far beyond the standard tomato, lettuce, condiments.



I wound up with a lamb burger, topped with creamy brie, grilled wild mushrooms, tomato and basil mayo. With a poutine on the side. I literally did not speak a word to my dining partner other than "mmmm" for about 15 minutes. I am drooling right now thinking about it. Living next door to and working for Greeks for a large portion on my life has taught me about perfectly prepared lamb. And this was perfectly done lamb. It's so easy to over or undercook lamb, but this was cooked through but not dry. Just moist enough. And the grilled mushrooms, with the brie melted on top. Just so...mmmm. Perfect.

The price was high for a burger, but not out of the question for a gourmet-other-than-beef burger in a gourmet burger bar. With all the add-ons to my food, I think my burger/poutine combo wound up being about $20.

My only criticism of the place was my side of poutine. While it was made with delicious fries and fresh cheese curds, they made it with chicken gravy. They make all their poutine with chicken gravy, apparently. I'm guessing that it works out better for their specialty poutines (options for which include but are not limited to: seafood and lobster, pulled pork, and turkey dinner all for around $9), but with a plain poutine, they really need a stronger gravy. Don't get me wrong, it was still tasty! It just wasn't as good as I was expecting after the ambrosia that was the burger.


So final call on Chuck's? I'll be back many, many times!

No comments:

Post a Comment