A Little Bit About Us...

So as of right now, there's only one of me. I'm trying to convince my lovely, self-professed foodie bff to help me write this little blog. But until she agrees, here's a bit about me...

I have to start out by saying: I am not a foodie. I like food, I eat food, but I don't have the passion of the foodie. I am, however, a writer who enjoys the experience of eating out and trying new foods. My tastes are simple and if it's giving me a foodgasm, I'll let you know the how and why and where.

I also happen to be a closet wine snob. I'm finding that I have a passion for wine and viniculture. And local microbreweries! While I'm not as into beer as I am food or wine, the locals will still be supported. You'll be hearing about all that here too.

But most importantly, I love Hamilton and think there's a whole city within that few people ever get to see. Little places that don't get the recognition that they deserve. So the main mandate of this blog is going to be "eat local, support local". If you can't get there on the HSR, I won't be writing about it.

Sunday 4 March 2012

Thai Memory

905.296.1077  25 King William Street  Hamilton, ON L8R 1A1  www.thaimemory.ca


Okay guys, King William. It's this little street that joins James and John, right? Not so! This tiny little street is full of food, music, art, and culture! I tried find out if the test of awesomeness to be on the street is written or oral but nobody had the information for me.


So, in the interests of my sanity and a sense of order, I've decided to write about the deliciousness in the order that I tried it.


So we start with Thai Memory.


I've been eating at Thai Memory for much longer than I've writing this blog. It's my go-to when I can't decide where I want to eat after work. It was the first Thai food that I ever tried, and I will probably always love it more than any other Thai food because of that. So be prepared for my bias, PREPARE FOR IT.


Are you ready?


So I love it. (You're shocked, after that lead in, I know you're shocked.) But here's where I have a shameful confession. I always order the same thing. Everytime. I've only tried one appetizer, one main dish, and one dessert. I know. I know, it's awful of a food blogger to not try something different at one of her favourite restaurants, but I can't help it. The coconut shrimp, pad thai, and deep fried bananas are so good there! But it's not just the food I love, the atmosphere isn't beat by any other restaurant I've been in.


I'll start with the atmosphere, because despite the amazing food, it's my favourite part. Diffuse lighting, running water, soft music, and tables made from slices of trees. Yes, that's right. The tables are made from slices of very large trees, with benches carved from the same wood. They're beautiful. Everything about it is calming and soothing. It's a feeling that decends on you from the moment you walk in. There are also handcrafted goods imported from Thailand for you to purchase if you're so inclined. The time between when I sit down and when food comes is my favourite time.


Okay, the food. My god, the food! I realize I only have three dishes to talk about, but they are an amazing three dishes. The coconut shrimp are amazing! The breading is light, but the coconut stays nice and crispy. It's served with a sweet and sour sauce that's just a smidge spicy. It's not so spicy that I can't eat it, just spicy enough that I can't eat very much of it. Perfection.


The pad thai is the same, spicy, but not so much that I can't eat it. Granted, I order the mild, because I'm a baby. But it's full of chicken and shrimp and tofu. The portion size is decent for the price, but I always eat all of it and never have any left for lunch the next day. I realize that it being too delicious to save any for lunch is not really a legitimate complaint though.


Deep fried bananas. Oh, the deep fried bananas. I've eaten a lot of them, at many different restaurants. And the ones at Thai Memory are my favourite. You've got to try them served with a scoop of the vanilla, and a scoop of the green tea ice cream! The bananas are hot and delicious with a hint of vanilla. The tartness of the green tea ice cream sets that off the sweetness of the bananas perfectly. Again the portion size is very good, perfect for sharing.


So that's Thai Memory. It's amazing. It's...perfect (because I haven't used that word enough in this post)! You should go. You should try all the things! Not just what I wrote about. In fact, I'm making a promise to you fair readers. The next time I go to Thai Memory, I will try something new, something not mild Pad Thai. ...but I'm still getting the fried bananas!


Stay tuned for my next post, BALTIMORE HOUSE!

No comments:

Post a Comment